A History of Wye Village Shops & Businesses

This is one of our more recent pages and it is our intention to build on it. It won’t be instant but do keep looking in.

Additional material is being supplied to us from time to time, as a result you may  need to scroll down and view material you have already looked at.

*Whilst we are happy to share the material on this page, if you are reproducing any of the content here please credit the source which is The Wye Business Association. Thankyou.

 A Wye Resident Remembers….

A Wye resident who was born and grew up in our village has drawn a list from his memory of shops and other businesses in Wye   between 1939 and 1951 this is incorporated with other memories and photographs passed onto us.

Please note this is work in progress and will be tidied up eventually.

Wye Hill Café Church Street

The Wye Hill Café changed hands during the 1980’s  and became a Chinese restaurant know as Golden Wye.

This is a very popular restaurant  with a much used take away facility. (30-32 Church Street 01233 811 871)

image0-004 Wye Hill Cafe

Photograph kindly supplied by Ian Cooling. Late 1950's/ early 1960's

Wye Hill Cafe (2)

Photograph kindly supplied by Delia Copland. 1970’s

Wye Hill Cafe

Photograph kindly supplied by Delia Copland. 1970’s

The Wye Hill Café,  was owned and run by the Kiln sisters. 1970’s – 80’s A familiar sight would be their Golden Retriever laying in the road at the side of the Café defying the odd passing car. Here, many a Wye College student would have enjoyed scrambled egg on toast with baked beans not to mention the wonderful home cooked cakes baked by Sue Bolding.

Note the little side garden in the top photograph where customers could sit outside.

Where Joshan’s Curry House is currently situated in the High Street was Ye Old Tea Rooms. These two establishments had coach parties come to the village for afternoon tea. This brought trade to the village as the visitors would take a little wander around and often purchased something.


The Kings Head Church Street


Post Card Kindly supplied by Ian Cooling featuring The Kings Head Church Street.

Note no yellow lines and no cars!

2-4 High Street –  Currently Joshan of Wye Indian Restaurant.

( Refurbishment taking place due to fire)

Formerly Ye Old Tea Rooms.

image0-010. Ye Old Tea RoomsJPG

Photograph Kindy loaned by Ian Cooling.

32 High Street – Formerly a Drapers 1835

This property having served the village as a shop in former times, latterly was purchased by Wye College and used as offices. Until recently one had access to cut through the former Wolfson Lecture Theatre car park behind which revealed a plaque and a well at the rear door. In 1845 this premises was believed to be owned by Mr Robert Matthews a Draper. It was at this time his well was cleaned and a very rare bead  found. Below is a photograph taken from The Topography of Wye 1842. The College placed a plaque to commemorate this fact but unfortunately there is a spelling error describing the bead as ‘Rear’ and not ‘Rare.’ One wonders if this piece of our village shop history will remain or will it disappear unnoticed? What happened to the rare bead?

32 High Street along with other College properties was purchased by Telereal Trillium for the purposes of development and access has been closed off. Fortunately these photographs were taken in 2015.

Bead from the Topography of Wye 1842

Topography of Wye 1842 Kindly loaned by Ian Cooling.

32 High Street Wye

Photograph: Ann Sutherland 2015 – Plaque at rear of  32 High Street.

from Topography of Wye 1842

Photograph: Ann Sutherland 2015 – Well at rear of 32 High Street.

 F T Ruck Wye College Stores High Street

Again we thank Ian Cooling for sharing with us these recent treasures from his collection.

The wonderful detailed artwork below from a 1919 Calendar shows this was a complimentary calendar given out by Mr & Mrs F T Ruck to their customers. Note their general store opposite the College was known as Wye College Stores.

The two postcards also below show two different advertising signs on the side of the shop. In the first photograph it is shown as Wye College Stores and the second F T Ruck Family Grocer.

Wye College purchased these shops and used them as offices. They were then known as Bexley House and Ian Curruthers House. Today, with the closure of Wye College they stand empty awaiting planning permission to be turned into residential premises.

1919 calendar. F T Ruck. College Stores. In High Street opp Collage entrance

 Wye College Stores

Ruck Family Grocer Wye


34 High Street

Geerings 1937

Geerings 1937  34 High Street Wye –     Photo kindly supplied by Delia Copland on loan from Miss Dorothy Coulter.

The young lady on the right is Miss Dorothy Coulter.

Geerings 1973

Geerings 1973 High Street Wye –  Photo kindly supplied by Delia Copland on loan from Miss Dorothy Coulter.

Standing in the doorway is Miss Dorothy Coulter.

As part of our History of Wye Village Shops Page we are pleased to be able to share the above photographs of 34 High Street Wye.

Some may wonder why the High Street is so named when there are today no shops here. Of course there was a time when this street was lined with shops including the Co Op.

1980’s until the current day.

When Geerings closed, 34 High Street was purchased by Wye College and became a residence for students.

Later it was sold and became a private property  again. The shop then took on a chequered life and became a work shop and showroom for a potter, a bridal gown showroom and two different types of book shop.

Currently it is a private residence and shop.

Holdstock’s 1970’s formerly Master’s and latterly owned by Quentin King known as The Farm Shop in the 1980’s.

Corner of Upper Bridge Street/High Street known as Golden Square.

Currently a private residence.



F.R. Holdstock’s General Store 1970’s – Photograph: Delia Copland.

The shop further along the High Street (No 34) was Geerings Stationers & News Agents.

Farm Shop

The Farm Shop – General Store 1980’s – Q. King. Photograph: Phyllis Harbour.

Bill from Holdstocks

27/4/2018 This 1973 statement from Holdstock’s recently featured on The Wife of Bath’s Facebook Page.

Wife of Bath Restaurant with Rooms.

Wife of Bath with Ivy

Photograph: Delia Copland 1970’s

Wife of Bath

Photograph: Ann Sutherland 2017

Robert Hymers & Staff Wife of Bath 2013

Long time Head Chef Robert Hymers Centre 80’s – 90’s

Photograph: Ann Sutherland.

Wife of Bath Illustration

Illustration for Wife of Bath Christmas Card by Ann Sutherland commissioned by restaurant owner John Morgan.

Note: Geoffrey the cat depicted snoozing in the window was very much part of the restaurant and fondly thought of by the customers.

The Wife of Bath founded by Michael Waterfield in 1963 and was formerly the local Doctor’s home and the building opposite in Upper Bridge Street was the Surgery.

We are told by a Wye resident that a  doctor living at this residence once kept a pet monkey which he used to let loose leaving it to climb up and down the ivy at the side of the house!

The Wife of Bath celebrates it’s fiftieth anniversary 2013.

The following article was written by Ann Sutherland  for wyeweb.org a village website

Back in the 1970’s the restaurant was one of the top ten in England under the ownership

of chef Michael Waterfield. Many of his recipes were his grandmother’s from Tuscany.

Martin Dwyer now a consultant gives a marvellous account of his days as a young man

in the seventies working for Michael at the Wife of Bath who he describes as his hero.

For more about the restaurant at this time read http://martindwyer.com/m/archives/archive.php?f=004053.html (copy and paste into your http box).

My own memories of the Wife of Bath or WOB as we came to know it, go back to 1980 when

my husband Peter and I arrived in Wye and were running Sutherland Stores. We first heard about the Wife of Bath when we told my sister in law we were moving here. She told us that she brought her clients down from London to Wye for lunch at the Wife of Bath (those were the days!) and that there had recently been an article on the restaurant in Vogue. Michael Waterfield by then had sold the business to his Chef Bob Johnson and Brian Boots who also worked for him.

Bob Johnson and his wife Janet soon became both clients and friends. It was a very busy restaurant and their fruit and vegetable purchases kept us busy too! We certainly had a challenge obtaining the unusual which hadn’t yet found it’s way down to Kent.(No supermarkets here then.)

After a busy day working in our shop from 7am until 7pm I enjoyed a walk with my dog last thing at night. As I passed by the Wife of Bath, Chauffeurs would be standing outside polishing wing mirrors and gliding a duster over the bonnet whilst they waited for their bosses to emerge from an evening of wining and dining.

People dressed in full evening attire and I loved to watch them come out to their cars. Gentlemen in dinner jackets and ladies in long dresses. I even spotted a few tiaras at times! One of the clients Mr Charles McKinnon would always be dressed in a kilt and dinner jacket. He looked a fine figure as he walked to the waiting car. Robert Hymers the chef, told me that Mr Mckinnon and his wife Michelle still dine at the restaurant. He is now ninety one. Obviously a loyal customer.

This Sunday I am sure the Wife of Bath herself will be feeling very special as Michael Waterfield returns to the celebrations of what was his creation. Also attending will be one of the previous owners John Morgan and previous manager Gregory Loison.

Happy 50th birthday dear lady!

AS/2013 wyeweb.org

Victoria Inn (now The Tickled Trout)

Publicans Mr & Mrs Brown. They had three boys.

image0-006 Victoria Inn

Photograph from Ian Cooling's collection.



The Victoria Inn now The Tickled Trout. Photograph Courtesy Mrs Delia Copland 1970's.

Tickled Trout TTT-Conservatory-Restaurant-330x250[1]

The Tickled Trout 1990’s  &  2016


Denne’s Mill – Bridge Street.

Dennes Mill with Banner

Post Card courtesy of Ian Cooling’s collection.
Note the horse and cart at the front of the building. Would such a large form of advertising be acceptable in our village today?



Denne’s Mill taken 1970’s by Phyllis Harbour.


Photograph kindly loaned by Sharon Crux whose Father worked as a lorry driver for Denne’s.

Opposite Tickled Trout was Denne’s Mill of Wye, Ashford & Canterbury. ( grain and animal feed.)

About T Denne & Sons | T Denne & Sons

NEWS AGENT’S 7 Bridge Street.

Baileys Sweet Shop, later run by Mr & Mrs Stagg. Later known as Surridges (early 1980’s) run by Peter and Pauline Surridge (Now a private house No 7 , first property after the Tickled Trout.)


Surridges corner Bridge Street & Churchfield Way 1980.




Photograph taken by Mrs Delia Copland 1970's. Proprietor's name over the door at this point A.M. Kettle.

29 Bridge Street Currently Wye Beauty

Formerly Sargent’s Sweet shop later Blackford’s .

As yet we have no photographs of no 29.


East Kent Bus Station:

John Morris Father with Bus

Photograph supplied by John Morris.

The gentleman on the left was the father of John Morris.

East Kent Bus was driven daily from it’s garage (20/24) which was opposite Sargent’s later Blackford’s general store, now Wye Beauty.

The Bus was driven to and from Hastingleigh and onto Ashford by Mr Morris and Mr Amos. These were the Fathers of Dennis Amos and John Morris.

Village Hall – Rebuilt in brick.

Edenden’s Cycle shop + Shoe Repairer Mr W. Williams. (shop next to No 96). Currently Oshen’s Hairdressers.

The George Public House (119 Bridge St)  Licensees Mr & Mrs Punyer.

Editor: When my husband an I came to view our house and business in 1979 we popped into the George Inn to have a drink and mull things over. Everyone in the bar appeared to be local and as strangers we were eyed with suspicion. The bar was highly polished wood with mirrors at the back.

By the time we moved to Wye in 1980 The George was closed and the premises had become residential.

The late John Parker informed us that during the Wye races the jockeys were put up at The George and they slept on the snooker tables in the large function room upstairs.

image0-005 Bridge Street George Inn

Photograph kindly loaned by Ian Cooling.



Photograph Courtesy of Mrs Delia Copland. 1970's

Well Chemist – Corner of Little Chequers and Bridge Street

Bishops (Cyril & Bertha)  then Renyolds later Russels – (Corner of Little Chequers now the Chemist) – Drapers selling curtains, clothing shoes etc.

Opposite Chemist on other side of Little Chequers, building now demolished Hollands Sweets and General Store. Locals all called Mr Holland Lordy Holland.

Swan House 140 was the School canteen in early 1940’s.

145 Bridge Street was a boot and shoe repair shop run by Mr Quinten Fryer.

Opposite 145 was Taylor’s Garage.

Taylors Garage

Next to the garage was Edenden’s  cycle shop 150 Bridge Street until recently Mary Hemsley’s Interiors.

Currently offices occupied by Tiger Law.

Formerly the Swan Inn during Victorian times.

House next door to the Methodist Chapel was Bowyer’s sweet shop.

Sunday Chapel and Sunday School at Methodist Chapel.

Stonegate Egg Packing station where Stonegate private houses now are,

What is currently the Wife of Bath Restaurant 4 Upper Bridge Street was the Doctor’s Surgery.

Further up Upper Bridge Street  The New Flying Horse.

Coulter’s the Carriage drivers 80 Upper Bridge Street

The Forge 2-4 Scotton Street – Blacksmith’s-  Mr Buddle who was also the Sunday School teacher.

To be continued…………………..

 Taylor’s Garage Bridge Street

Photographs – Ann Sutherland

Currently Twysdon Court Residential Property.


Kentish Express Advertisement July 25th 1969

Taylors Garage

Taylor’s Garage was owned by the Lepper Family from approximately the 1960’s to early 80’s  It was then sold to partners the late Brian Hern and Alan Heron. The site is currently a housing development in Bridge Street known as Twysdon Court. On the left hand side of our photograph taken in the 80’s can be seen the corner of what was until recently Mary Hemsley’s Curtain and Soft Furnishing shop. During the Lepper’s time Mary’s shop was used by the Garage as their office, reception and spare parts shop. (Formerly in Victorian times this shop had been a pub known as The Swan).

IMG_8327 IMG_8328

Partners Brian Hern & Alan Heron. Also in the blue Jacket is Sarah Andrews who served on the petrol pumps.

IMG_8331 IMG_8332

The Petrol delivery was always overseen by Brian pictured on top of the tanker whilst Alan kept a watchful eye!

IMG_8334  IMG_8342

Whilst remembering Tayor’s Garage it brings back memories of villagers who passed by daily on their way up from Little Chequers to the shops.

In the left hand photograph is Kathleen Cole who was then Warden of the Luckley House Sheltered Housing scheme. She lived on site with her husband in a flat provided by the Council for the Warden. Pictured with Mrs Cole is Stewart Dunk who was at one time a shepherd for Wye College. In his retirement he delivered newspapers well into his eighties for the Wye newsagents known and owned by Geerings.

The right hand photograph shows Bob and Sybil Cheeseman. They were a familiar sight as they walked regularly past the garage. Bob in his jaunty tartan cap complete with a red bobble. He always walked about six paces behind Sybil which most villagers found entertaining. They were both staunch members of the Methodist Church and their processional walk could be seen every Sunday evening as they made their way to the Chapel.

Taylor’s Garage was a thriving business and later Brian’s son Nigel joined his Father and Alan. Sadly Brian died and both Nigel and Brian continued with the business until such times they sold the site for development. The age of the Supermarket had arrived and Petrol sales were affected.

Although Brian, Alan and Nigel did not live in Wye, they were very much part of the Community and joined in the WBA events. Alan became the first Chairman of The Wye Business Association with Nigel as his Vice Chairman.

 Wye Bakery 22 Church Street.


Wye said goodbye to Rumpus on the Green  Saturday 30th April 2017. A popular clothing agency run successfully by Jak Mansell. This was a lively and friendly business based at 22 Church Street. It certainly added sparkle to our village especially  its window displays.

Twenty Two Church Street was for many years been a bakery. In 1960 Mr G. Hatton owned the Bakery and sold the business to Mr J Small who in turn sold it to Mr Bob Young. He closed down in the late 90’s -2,000. The shop stood empty until Mary Braithwaite and Nigel Ings opened it once again as a bakery in 2012 after a tremendous amount of restoration.

Mary & Nigel

  Mary & Nigel

They based the bakery and counter at the rear of the premises and the customers used the side passage to queue eagerly for their bread. The village was pleased to have its Bakery back again.

The shop itself was rented out to Jak Mansell who opened her dress agency Rumpus on the Green March 2012.


Photograph courtesy of Mrs Delia Copland.(1970's)
Proprietor J Small.


Wye Bakery 1991 (2) Bakery

Wye Bakery 1991                                                                   Wye Bakery 1998

In 2014 Mary & Nigel sought a new project moving up to the Isle of Luing Oban Scotland handing over the Bakery to Pauline Hickson who, following the closure of Rumpus on the Green took on the shop bringing her wonderful display of pastries and freshly baked bread  back onto the front line of Church Street.


Pauline Hickson

 Lee & Son

Currently Wye Coffee Shop & Kitchen.

Lee & Son on the junction of Church Street and Bridge Street.

Lee & Son

 Photograph the late Mrs Harbour Little Chequers courtesy of her daughter Pam Harbour)


Lee & Son Photograph by courtesy of Mrs Delia Copland.


Lee & Son Ad (2)

Advertisement from The Kentish Express July 1969

Lee & Son was an extremely fine soft furnishing shop and as one can see from the advertisement was used to dealing with a mixed clientele. The advertisement does however boast of doing business with the more grander houses in the area.

Editor: We remember Mr Lee as a very elegant gentleman booted and suited ready to make his customers feel special. The shop closed in the eighties and the already existing and popular gift shop ‘The Gift Horse’ situated at 11 Church Street Street moved into the larger premises of what was Lee & Son. The Gift Horse was a business owned by Mrs Christoffenson  who with her husband owned and ran Spring Grove Primary School in Harville Road. Mrs Christoffenson employed Mrs Jill Moffit to run her Gift Shop. Jill was an excellent businesswoman who understood retail very well. Later she added to the Gift side of the business by creating a boutique for ladies in the basement selling quality clothing. This was something Jill was much practiced at from her experience in earlier days working in a ladies clothes shop in Ipswich.

Botanic1 (2)

  Jill Moffit


The upstairs of the shop was divided into bedsits and rented out to students of Wye College. Again, Jill ran this side of the business very well with firm rules laid in place.

When Mrs Christoffenson  died in the nineties her daughter closed the business down and sold the building to a developer. He created three flats upstairs and a café where the shop had once been. He himself ran the café for a while and then leased it to Pietro who was from Sicily. Pietro was popular with the village and produced quality food.

Bay Laurel Brasserie

Later when Pietro decided to work in Canterbury  the Café/Restaurant was leased again and the business became known as Bay Laurel. The gentleman running the business was Asian and when asked the meaning of the name he explained that his family wanted something of their ancestry in the name. His ancestors had owned a tea garden and the hedges surrounding the property were laurel and they used bay to fuse the tea. It was an unusual setup with the owner traveling from Guildford daily and not arriving until 11am. In addition to lunches, the captive market for this business was early breakfasts and morning coffee! It was no surprise to the village that this business sadly did not take off and went back on the market.

Happily Howard and Victoria took over the premises renaming it Wye Coffee Shop & Kitchen.

Cafe 2

Fortunately for Wye Howard and Victoria also licensees of The Hooden Horse at Willsborough have pitched this business just right. They are open early for breakfasts, Morning Coffee and excellent lunches, not to mention great afternoon teas. This is just what the doctor ordered for our village and we are pleased to announce it is strongly supported by the local people as well as visitors. Great food, great prices with friendly and willing staff.

Far from the days of Lee & Son but how wonderful it is this premises still survives as a successful business”

 BUGDENS OF WYE 10- 12 Church Street

Currently residential.

With thanks to Ian Cooling for supplying the above photograph.

Prior to 10-12 Church Street being renamed Bugdens of Wye it was owned by Mr John Back and was known as Central Stores.


Bugdens Advert 1969 (3)

The advertisement above is from a copy of the Kentish Express dated July 25th 1969.

Bugden's of Wye

Bugden’s of Wye 10-12 Church Street (Photograph the late Mrs Harbour Little Chequers courtesy of her daughter Pam Harbour)

Bugden’s was located at 10 -12 Church Street and is now a complex of private residences.

Editor: Moving to Wye from London in 1980, we found Bugden’s  an absolute delight here in the countryside. It was owned by Mr & Mrs Dennis Woods who employed the dedicated staff that had worked there for years. This was a specialised delicatessen and grocery. The gentlemen wore stiff white aprons which attached to their top shirt button. Their shirt sleeves were held in position with flexible golden arm bands. They wore white elasticated sleeve protectors  which slipped over their wrists and were pulled up to their elbows. It was like going back in time.

One staff member Peter Rumley, a middle aged balding gentleman made for an eccentric character in the village of Wye. He wore a thick tweed jacket and grey flannels together with shiny brown lace up shoes and offset this rather conservative look with  chunky gold studs in each ear (unusual for a gentleman to wear a pair) he later added to his appearance a gold nose stud having obtained permission from his employer first. He would cycle to work from his home in Little Chequers to the shop. His cycle clips added to his unusual appearance.

Bugden’s appeared to be from a time gone by. The wonderful smell of fresh coffee beans filled the air upon entering the store. Vinegar was served from a cask and the smell from the cold meat counter tempted the tastes buds. It was fascinating watching the staff as they expertly sliced the meat on the big slicing machine  placing each slice in between separate sheets of grease proof paper before they placed them in a paper bag. Very popular was the tray of ham bits that fell from the machine. A bag of these was a very good buy.

The advertisement above states that Bugden’s were ‘ proud to offer a high class service’. This was of course very apparent and their customers felt valued.

Upon Mr & Mrs Wood’s retirement in the 80’s,  Bugden’s sadly closed its doors and was converted to very attractive holiday accommodation. Later it became residential providing some  original flats and converted outbuildings without changing the character.



145 Bridge Street. Currently Ticketyboo Art & Gifts.



Sutherland Storers

Sutherland Stores 1980 – 1999 – 145 Bridge Street Wye.  (Pre Super Stores in Ashford Area)

145 Bridge Street

145 Bridge Street is on the right opposite the former Taylor’s Garage now private houses known as Twysdon Court.

Information recalled from living memory.

Note the shop front at this time only has a window,  the door was round the side. Today the door is at the front with a window either side.  This photograph was taken pre 1967 when it was owned by Mr Fryer who ran a shoe and boot repairers from here. Some Wye residents remember going down to Lady Joanna Thornhill school as children and seeing Mr Fryer in the window with a mouth full of tacks repairing leather goods. They also talk of smelling the leather as they walked by. Mr Fryer lived in the house next door, number 147. There is evidence of a doorway from the house into the shop.

Later the shop became part of 141 – 145 Bridge Street which is the house behind. (At this time these were two little one up and one down farm worker’s cottages.) The cottages and shop were then owned (1950’s) by Miss Violet Hudson a member of the Hudson soap family. She lived and resided at Coombe Farm Hastingleigh.

She rented 141 to an Irish immigrant family and 145 to Mr & Mrs Jordan a local couple. Mr Jordan worked as a driver for Taylor’s Garage opposite.

Miss Hudson used to come down to the village in the mornings and leave her milk and cream in the shop unmanned. People would come and buy this leaving their money in a tin which she collected every afternoon. Honesty was a key factor here.

Miss Hudson decided she wanted to convert the two cottages into a 50’s style bungalow. Permission was not granted by the Council as they felt this was not within keeping of the village. The lady was by various people’s recollections  rather eccentric. In retaliation she brought some of her farm workers down to Wye and got them to smash the roof off of the cottages and left them in a derelict state. It remained so until she died.

In 1967 Miss Hudson’s beneficiaries sold the derelict property to Mr Norman Spearman and his wife Eileen. Mr Spearman had retired as the village Policeman and had until then been living in one of the Police houses opposite Oxenturn Road.  Together with another local gentleman Mr Jack Hartley, they worked on the property turning it into a single storey house for the Spearman’s retirement.

Spearman's (3)

Kentish Express Advertisement July 25th 1969

Mr & Mrs Spearman did a floristry course and opened the shop as a florist. It was known as ‘The Garden Shop’. They added to the business later by turning it into a little general store still carrying on their floristry work. They provided flowers for the local weddings and funerals and also handmade the Christmas wreaths collecting moss from Kings Wood. During this time Mr Spearman also became a Borough Councillor.

In 1980 the Spearman’s sold the property to Peter and Ann Sutherland who moved down from London. The shop became known as Sutherland Stores. Back then there were five other General Stores plus the Co Op. With no Supermarkets in the area at this time, there was plenty of trade to go around.  The Sutherland’s specialised in Greengrocery introducing new exciting fruit and vegetables to Wye. The dinner party era had found its way to the village and surrounding hamlets. The Wife of Bath restaurant were also wanting to try out the more exotic produce and so became very good customers of Sutherland Stores.

When Sutherland Stores first opened it’s doors the Co Op and some of the other shops did not open on a Sunday. Also it was traditional for the shops in Wye to close on a Wednesday afternoon. This was an opportunity  for the Sutherlands by staying open. They also introduced late opening and kept open until 7.30pm every evening. Until then this had been unheard of in Wye and was a bit of a novelty.

The first late opening was a winter’s evening and in the darkness of Wye, light beamed out from Sutherland’s Store. It was so unusual that a passing Police car stopped to enquire as to whether everything was ok.

As time rolled on the Co Op decided to open on a Sunday which affected this opportunity for Sutherland Stores. A new idea was needed to make up the loss of takings. Still with no Supermarkets there was no fresh fish. Remembering how in London on a Sunday, vendors would stand outside the pubs selling shell-fish, the Sutherlands hit on the idea of stripping out their shop on a Saturday evening and filling the window with shell-fish. cod’s roe and of course kippers for breakfast. News soon travelled and Sunday mornings especially were very busy in this department. People even ordered their breakfast kippers! It did mean of course that come Sunday evening, the shop had to be scrubbed out and restored to its normal practice minus the smell of fish!

Taylor’s Garage opposite was good for trade as customers used to fill up with petrol and pop across the road to shop.

The rise of the Supermarkets  became a way of life for us all but it did affect village businesses and it was eventually not viable to continue with the shop. Taylors Garage followed and later closed.

Ann & Peter had a break from running a shop for a few years turning their time to house minding, gardening and looking after people’s dogs.

Their next venture was to reopen the shop in 2004 selling Gifts and Art. This is currently known as Ticketyboo.http://www.ticketyboowye.org/

Sutherland Carrier Bag

The last remaining carrier bag